Amit Goffer, ›Pan‹, 2015, Installation with sound
P an Video Documentation
The department store of Konstanz, which originates from 1388,
was originally located in the lake and was thus directly accessible by boats.
The meadow situated in front of the building was banked up later.
The name "Council Building", commonly used since the 19th century,
derives from the Conclave which took place during the council of
1417 on 8th Nov in the hall of the department store, where Otto Colonna
was elected pope (Martin V) on 11th Nov .
Installation with sound, aluminum, wood, steel, ca 210 cm
For his installation > Pan <Amit Goffer oriented himself to historical mouthpieces
and early funnel-shaped loudspeakers. He arranges five of these horns -
to work together and with diverse timings- on a pedestal, creating an
expansive sculpture which functions as a loudspeaker and transmits different noises.
The work engages with ideas of communication: the exchange of information
via noise and sounds - those that have been used as functional warning signals
as well as religious, musical compositions and the instruments used in this case.
Goffer has researched the history of foghorns and musical practice at the time of the
Council. he result is an audible memorial, a reminder of a bygone era, which is directly
related to the history of the place and the city.
For the original German info.